The archives and historic collections of Sherborne School preserve and make available for research material relating to the history of Sherborne School. The collections cover all aspects of School life and include:
- The Sherborne Register: published lists of all former pupils 1550-1950, 1925-2000.
- Governors’ reports.
- School magazines, including The Shirburnian 1859 to 2010.
- Blue books (termly lists), 1892 to date.
- Photographs (School, House, teams, events, buildings, and Royal visits).
- School uniform and sporting colours.
- Cups, trophies and medals.
- Film footage and oral history recordings.
- The Old Shirburnian Society archive, including the Annual Record, 1897 to date.
- Papers of Old Shirburnians, including Alan Turing (1912-1954), Alec Waugh (1898-1981), Peter Oliver (1907-1945), and J.C. Critchell Bullock (1898-1953).
- Papers of former members of staff, including H.R. King (1855-1935).
- Material relating to local events, including the 1905 Sherborne Pageant and the bombing of Sherborne in 1940.
- Books about the history of Sherborne School.
- Books by or about Old Shirburnians and former members of staff.
The collection also includes a reference library of approximately 900 volumes published between the fifteenth and the twentieth century, with at its core the School’s seventeenth century library. Subject areas covered include Latin, Greek, French and English authors, philosophy, history, travel, topography, ecclesiastical history, bibles, natural science, architecture, and lexicography.
The Dorset History Centre holds on loan some material from the School archives, including papers relating to the School’s former estates, the School Charter of 1550, and certain administrative and financial papers up to 1950. For further details visit the Dorset History Centre website or contact the Dorset History Centre, Bridport Road, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1RP, Tel: 01305 250550.
For all enquiries, including appointments and donations please contact the School Archivist, Rachel Hassall MArAd, RMARA.