The Sherborne Pageant was performed at Sherborne Old Castle on 12-15 June 1905. Over 800 performers took part in six performances and it is estimated that it was attended by 30,000 visitors.
Sherborne School was involved in all aspects of the Sherborne Pageant. The script was written by Louis Napoleon Parker (1852-1944), a former Director of School Music, with James Rhoades (1841-1923), a former master at the School, and Walter Raymond (1852-1931). The choral score was composed by Louis Napoleon Parker, Archibald Frank Tester (1882-1925), then organist and piano teacher at Sherborne School, and Clive Carey (1883-1968), a former pupil of the School who later became famous as an opera producer and folk song collector. Much of the artwork, including the posters and programme covers, was designed by the School’s art master Henry Hudson (1864-1943).
Sherborne School holds the largest collection of material relating to the 1905 Sherborne Pageant. The collection comprises scripts, scores, programmes, photographs, publicity material, postcards and souvenirs, press cuttings, publications and audio-visual material. In 1943, L.N. Parker gave Sherborne School two albums that he had been presented with in 1905, one contains photographs of the Pageant and the other signatures of those who took part.
For further information about the Sherborne School Archives please contact the School Archivist.
Return to the School Archives homepage.
- 1905 Sherborne Pageant Archive held at Sherborne School (pdf)
- Sherborne Pageant Albums presented to L.N. Parker in 1905 (Flickr)
- L.N. Parker by H.R. King (1928) (pdf)
- Sherborne as an Art Centre by L.N. Parker (1922) (pdf)
- Photograph of the Sherborne School staff who took part in the 1905 Sherborne Pageant (Flickr)
- Sherborne Pageant programme cover designed by Henry Hudson, 1905 (Flickr)
- Sherborne Pageant Shields designed by Jocelyn Ffooks, 1905 (Flickr)
- Menu card for the Sherborne Pageant Complimentary Dinner, 1905 (Flickr)
- Memorial to L.N. Parker, Sherborne School chapel (Flickr)
- Westcott Memorial Window, Sherborne School chapel (Flickr)
- Notes of a lecture about the Sherborne Pageant given by A.B. Gourlay in 1965 (pdf)
- Sherborne Mural (Flickr)
- Film of the Sherborne Pageant March Past (YouTube)
- L.N. Parker archive, Columbia University
- The Redress of the Past: Historical Pageants in Britain, 1905-2016 project website