the-old-green-2015

The ‘old’ Green, Greenhill, 2015.

From 1865 to 1999, the Sherborne School boarding house known as The Green occupied the former Angel Inn on Greenhill.  In 1999, the boarders moved across the road to Greenhill House which was renamed The Green.

The Angel Inn was a coaching inn, built around 1750.  On 31 August 1865, the Rev. O.W. Tancock opened the former Angel Inn as The Green, a school boarding house with 12 boarders.   In 1872, Tancock purchased the house from Messrs. Ffooks for £2200, and in 1872-1873 added a dormitory wing and studies costing £1801.  The property was sold by housemaster to housemaster until in 1929 the School Governors purchased it, with the help of Sir Edward Iliffe, for £6,300 from the Rev. W.J. Bensly.  In 1999 the building was sold to Ash Mill Developments Ltd. who converted it into flats.

The Green boarding house from 1999 (formerly Greenhill House).

The ‘new’ Green, 1999.

The ‘new’ Green in the former Greenhill House was opened as a school boarding house in September 1999 by Lord Robert Iliffe, grandson of Sir Edward Iliffe who in 1929 had helped purchase the ‘old’ Green for the School. To accommodate the new house a wing and a housemaster’s house were built in the former garden.

Greenhill House was built in the 17th century by the Eastmonts, a family of rich clothiers.  In 1722, the house was inherited by John Eastmont’s daughter, Dorothy, who was married to Carew Hervy Mildmay (1690-1784) MP of Hazlegrove, Somerset.  In 1807, the house was sold at auction to Thomas Ffooks, a Sherborne solicitor, for £670.  The house remained in the Ffooks family for the next 153 years, being occupied by a number of tenants, including Major James John Loudon McAdam (1841- 1910) and the Rev. Arthur Field (Old Shirburnian).  In 1960, Greenhill House was acquired by the School Governors.   Bequests from the Rev. Arthur Field and from Dr Elizabeth Gourlay in memory of her brother A.B. Gourlay paid for the renovation of the building.

In January 1977, the Greenhill House Study Centre was opened for international students with Frank Francis as its first Warden (Principal).  By 1991 the Study Centre had outgrown Greenhill House and, thanks to a generous bequest from the Bow family, it moved down the road to Newell Grange and is today known as Sherborne International.

Former pupils of Sherborne School who have boarded at The Green include Jimmy Adams (1994-1999), Charlie Cox (1996-2001), Christopher Curwen (1943-1947), Nick Greenstock (1987-1992), Charles Hudson VC (1905-1910), Albert Reginald Powys (1895-1899), Llewelyn Powys (1899-1903), William Ernest Powys (1902-1906), John Tallent (1924-1929), Chris Vacher (1965-1969), Philip Wayre (1935-1938).

House letter: c.

House colours: yellow and black.

Housemasters:
1865 Osborne William Tancock (1839-1930)
1880 Thomas Ward Wilson (1849-1924)
1905 Henry Dunkin (1861-1949)
1921 William James Bensly (OS) (1874-1943)
1929 Herbert Henry Brown (1891-1963)
1936 Samuel Hey (1904-1977)
1951 Laurence Seymour May (1914-1997)
1966 Michael Richard Gratwicke Earls-Davis (OS) (1921-2016)
1975 David Oldham (1932-1988)
1984 Michael J. Cleaver
1996 Giles D. Reynolds
2008 Alistair M. Hatch (OS)

Online Resources:

 

Return to the School Archives homepage