Online Resources for Sherborne School and the Second World War:
- Online Exhibition: Sherborne School and the Second World War NEW!
- Sherborne School WW2 Roll of Honour
- The Bombing of Sherborne on 30 September 1940
- Essays written by boys at Sherborne School about their experiences during the bombing of Sherborne on 30 September 1940 NEW!
- Squadron Leader Peter Devitt and the bombing of Sherborne
- Memorial to the civilian casualties of the bombing of Sherborne on 30 September 1940 (flickr)
- Air Ministry Report on the bombing of Sherborne, 1946
- ARP map showing locations of the bombs that fell on Sherborne on 30 September 1940
- Shirburnians and the Battle of Britain, 1940
- The story of Firefly, one of the ‘Little Ships of Dunkirk’, 1940
- Shirburnians and Dunkirk
- John Durnford: OS WW2 Poet
- Herr Brack: temporary German master – and Nazi spy? (pdf)
- Sherborne’s Kindertransport Children
- Tony Bethell and the Great Escape from Stalag Luft III
- Lieutenant A.T.W. Austin: Sherborne’s D-Day hero
- Alan Turing OBE, PhD, FRS (1912-1954)
- Memorial to members of C Company, 294th Engineer Combat Battalion, US Army, killed in an anti-tank mine explosion in Sherborne Park on 20 March 1944 (flickr)
- Memorial to members of 294th Engineer Combat Battalion, US Army, killed in action during the Second World War, who were based in Sherborne from February to June 1944 (flickr)
- Second World War documents at the Dorset History Centre
- Sherborne Museum Make Do and Mend project
- Lieutenant J.H. Grayburn: Sherborne’s A Bridge too Far hero
- Old Shirburnian POWs & Internees in WW2 NEW!
- Victoria Cross Recipients
- Roll of Honour
- Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902)
- First World War (1914-1919)
- Lives Lost in Service (1919-1939, 1946 to date)
For further information about the Sherborne School Archives please contact the School Archivist.
Return to the School Archives homepage.