In 1903, the 1st XV badge, known irreverently as the ‘cabbage’, was replaced with the ‘Wessex Dragon’ badge. The ‘cabbage’ badge had been introduced for the 1st XV in 1874, along with the plain blue jersey. Prior to this, the 1st XV had worn a jersey with magenta, black and white stripes and a cap to match.
The ‘cabbage’ badge was replaced in 1903 at the suggestion of Godfrey Mohun Carey, who played rugby for England, Blackheath and Somerset and taught at Sherborne from 1897 until his death in 1927. For 25 years, Carey was also master-in-charge of School Games and Fields and in 1923 he founded the Sherborne Pilgrims, a society for encouraging Old Shirburnian sporting activities. In 1928, ‘Carey’s’ playing fields were named in his memory and the Carey memorial gates were placed at the entrance to the fields.
Find out more about the history of rugby football at Sherborne School.
Visit Sherborne School Archive News for more stories from the archives.
Posted 31 October 2017 by Sherborne School Archives.