Ramsam House was used as a boarding house for Sherborne School from 1855-1860 and 1868-1890.
Ramsam House on Greenhill is named after Peter Ramsam, Abbot of Sherborne 1475-1504. The building dates from between the late-eighteenth to the mid-nineteenth century. In 1834, Ramsam House and Abbots Fee were owned by solicitor Charles Hutchings (Old Shirburnian and School Governor) who occupied Ramsam House and leased Abbots Fee to William Simon Penny (Old Shirburnian).
From 1855 to 1860 the Rev. J.T. Pearse boarded a few Sherborne School boys at the premises. From 1861 to 1868, the house was run by John Kidd FRAS (c.1834-1891) as a private school, ‘The Sherborne Academy’. In 1868, Ramsam House reverted to Sherborne School when the Rev. P.R. Clifton transferred his boarders there. On Clifton’s death in June 1872 the house passed to the Rev. H.P. Price who built a Fives Court behind the house. Price argued with the Headmaster E.M. Young and in April 1890 left Sherborne taking many of his boarders with him to Weymouth College. The Headmaster had hoped to transfer Price’s boarders to Mr Wildman’s house, Mapperty, but in the end some boys transferred to The Green and sixteen boys left the School.
From 1899 to 1902 the house was the first home of Sherborne Girls’ School. During the Second World War, the building was taken over by the military authorities when it became known as ‘Ransome House’. In 1948, the house was purchased by the Yeatman Hospital for nurses’ accommodation.
Former pupils of Sherborne School who boarded at Ramsam House (Price’s house) include C.D. Baker, W.Y. Dawson, W.A.S. Edwards. G.A. Ellis, R.H. Kendle, A.W.F. Sayres, Hugh Corbet Vincent (Wales Rugby International).
House colours: blue & black (later used by Lyon House).
1855-1860 Rev. John Thomas Pearse (1829-1912)
[1861-1868 Sherborne Academy, run by John Kidd (c.1834-1891)]
1868-1872 Rev. Percival Robert Clifton (1835-1872)
1872-1890 Rev. Hugh Penderel Price (OS) (1844 -1902)
For further information about the Sherborne School Archives please contact the School Archivist
Return to the School Archives homepage