Wallace House has been in continuous use as a school boarding house since 1931.
The private side of Wallace House, originally known as Elmdene, was built in 1897 by a member of the Trevett family (possibly Isaac Orchard Trevett (1842-1925), ironmonger) as a private residence. Later it became a private hotel.
In September 1930 the property was purchased by Headmaster C.L.F. Boughey for £3360. Boughey rented the property to the School Governors who opened it in Lent term 1931 as a waiting house for boys, the majority of whom were destined to pass on to the School House. In summer 1931 a large wing was added providing accommodation for 24 boys. The property was purchased by the School Governors in 1953 and extensively enlarged in 1967. It became a full house in 1977 when it was renamed Wallace House after Headmaster, Alexander Ross Wallace.
Former Wallace boys have included Jack Galsworthy (broke the world record in 2016 with Freddie Wright for the youngest pair to row the Atlantic) and Giles Whittell (author and journalist).
House letter: e.
House colours: red and navy.
1931-1976 Elmdene (waiting house):
1931 Max Edward Kenneth Westlake (OS) (1895-1987)
1942 Arnold James Parkes Andrews DCM (1895-1973)
1943 Rev. Vivian Hubert Howard Green (1915-2005)
1946 John Turcan Melvin (1916-1999)
1948 Geoffrey J.B. Watkins (1907-1992)
1955 Rev. Timothy Cyril Pitt Brook (1906-1991)
1965 David Oldham (1932-1988)
1975 Jeremy J. Barker
1977- Wallace House:
1977 Jeremy J. Barker
1988 A.G. F. Fisher
1993 S. Patrick H. Haigh
2005 Giles T.W. Robinson
2016 Andrew David Nurton (OS)
- Elmdene and Wallace House photographs
- Elmdene boys’ accounts of the bombing of Sherborne on 30 September 1940
- History of Sherborne School’s Boarding Houses
For further information about the Sherborne School Archives please contact the School Archivist
Return to the School Archives homepage